Feature Request: Timer count up

adetia

Feature Request: Timer count up

Post by adetia » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:32 am

Would it be possible to have a timer that could count up and not down?
Sometimes, a stopwatch type timer is really desirable for a variety of things.

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Timer count up

Post by Gimagukk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Please provide some example scenarios so that I understand the intent better.

adetia

Post by adetia » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Ok for example, say I wanted something to start at ZERO and count up not down.
So instead of say a 2 minute timer starting at 120 and counting down to 0, this would be a more open ended (or could set an end time), that would start at 0 and count UP to either a time specified in the trigger, if needed or until doomsday.

Don't really care if the bar scaling is functional or not as I can see how that would be tough/impossible.
or even if there is an open ended but say I'm not surewhat an interval on something is, or the spawn time, etc, and I want essentially to use a stopwatch to trackit i can set off a trigger i make with an upwards counting trigger so its on my screen and i can retire my 10 year old egg timer.

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Tue May 01, 2012 8:10 am

What I'm looking more for is a couple examples of when you would use this, so I can get an idea of how it would be best implemented. For example, is it that you actually want to have to set up triggers that start the timer, or do commands bound to hotkeys make more sense (ie, {GINA:StartTimer1:SomeTimerName})? I'm assuming these timers are open ended (since if you knew the timer duration, counting down is probably fine), so what would end the timer -- is it trigger text or a command? I have a few more questions, but I think some real-world examples will answer them.

adetia

Post by adetia » Wed May 02, 2012 7:26 pm

I guess what I was thinking was a trigger:

1. I like to be able to time certain things in scripts in raids, that are not always marked with emotes. I've always used an egg timer where I can push the start and stop button, and it tells me ok that time of frame was 37 seconds or something.

2. I like to be able to time certain spawns that are on an unknown timer to me, whether its respawn in an area that doesn't fall nicely into my normal spawn track timers, or, waves of adds on raids, or whatever.

I was originally thinking a trigger, that would end early on the text "timer stop" or whatever I set in the end early box.

Ssark

Post by Ssark » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 am

I thought of another way to think about this:

In Beasts' Domain, for example, adds pop every three minutes from the start of the event. So, you'd want a timer than either:

1) Alerted you about 15 seconds before every 3 minutes came up
2) A timer that, after it ran out, simply kicked itself off again

In GINA (or GTT), I simply set a 3-minute timer with 15-second warning whenever I tell a private channel "BD ADDS." Trouble is, I gotta remember every 3 minutes to tell that private channel that (I even have a button for it, but you know how that goes).

So, the next best thing I could find was to set a trigger for 39 minutes, and watch it count down. I have memorized the factors of 3 (39, 36, 33, 30, 27, 24, etc.) so I just watch it when it gets close to one of those, I announce to raid that the adds are coming.

GINA has so many cool ways of doing stuff -- am I missing something obvious to make this work better?

Ssark

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

Stopwatch and Repeating Timers are now supported in 1.0.14.4. I haven't updated the web docs yet, but you now specify the type of timer on the Timer tab of the Trigger Editor.

Ssark

Post by Ssark » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:04 am

WOO HOO! Thanks! Tested it out, works exactly like I hoped.

Huggly

Post by Huggly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Have a question on this. How do I stop/reset a stopwatch timer?

I can specify an "End Early Text", but there could be many variables to account for in the "end early text"

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Early End Text is the only way to stop a stopwatch or repeating timer (or the {GINA:stop} command which ends all timers). This field will actually be required for Repeating / Stopwatch timers in the next released version.

These types of timers are intended to be used for fairly free-form scenarios where you don't know how long a timer should run (otherwise you'd just use a countdown timer). An example of how you could use them is:

Trigger text: Start timer {S}
Timer name: Timer: {S}
Early End Text: End timer {S}

If set up this way, I could do the following (probably in a personal chat channel, for example):

/1 start timer Some Random Event

This would cause "You tell myChannel(1), 'start timer Some Random Event'" to be written to the log, which would create a timer called "Timer: Some Random Timer". To end the timer, I can type:

/1 end timer Some Random Event

This would clear the timer. I can have multiple instances of this stopwatch going by specifying a different name in my "/1 start timer XXXXX".