Starting Gina an error has occurred

Huggly

Starting Gina an error has occurred

Post by Huggly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:44 am

It seems that I have become a resource for helping my guildmates solve their GINA problems.

Had a user last night, after adding a new trigger, the night previous. When they started GINA the next day, it would give an error message, and offer to report to microsoft.

I had them move their GinaConfig.xml out of the appdata/local/gimasoft/gina folder, and restart, and it started working. Trying to get them to email me the bad file so you can use it for troubleshooting.

Isn't the purpose of the lkg file to give you something to revert to? When does this file get updated? Is this the file that is used, when you do an uninstall/change, and choose revert?

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Re: Starting Gina an error has occurred

Post by Gimagukk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 pm

The uninstall/change option is a feature of ClickOnce that lets you roll back to the previous version of the app if I release a majorly screwed up version -- e.g., if you have version 1.0.14.0 installed and then download 1.0.14.1, you can use Uninstall/Change in Control Panel -> Programs to roll back to version 1.0.14.0.

The GINAConfig.lkg (last known good) is my own implementation to try to protect against a corrupt config file (bad file write or whatnot). Basically, any time GINA successfully loads the GINAConfig.xml file, it will copy that file to GINAConfig.lkg. If GINA fails to load the GINAConfig.xml file, it will check for the presence of a GINAConfig.lkg file and try to load that instead.

It sounds like something very wrong if it crashed hard enough that it couldn't even attempt loading the lkg file. If you are able to send me the offending file, that will probably help me figure out what happened.

Huggly

Post by Huggly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 pm

It happened to this user again today. After I set them up again, with a fresh config file last night.

Will get the offending xml after raid, tonight

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks for the file. The issue is that there was a Trigger Group created with a blank name (which itself is a bug).

In the next version, I'll fix the validation so that blank group names aren't allowed as well as the issue that caused this scenario to crash.

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am

This is fixed in 1.0.14.3. Note that since you can't start the application in 1.0.14.2 or earlier when you have a trigger group with a blank name in the file, you will still have to either (a) delete the GINAConfig.xml as you have done before, or (b) edit the GINAConfig.xml file and find the TriggerGroup element that has a missing or blank Name attribute (<TriggerGroup> or <TriggerGroup Name="">), and give it a name (<TriggerGroup Name="SomeName">).