unable to connect to sharing service

Huggly

unable to connect to sharing service

Post by Huggly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Laptop running windows 7 x64. Gina starts, checks for update. I try to connect to the library, and get a error. Unable to connect to sharing service.

Same network as main machine, that works fine. Only using windows firewall on laptop, same issue if firewall disabled.

Huggly

Re: unable to connect to sharing service

Post by Huggly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 pm

nm, figured it out. main computer was excluded from squid proxy. I added laptop to exception list, and it started working.

Not sure why squid is breaking it.

ThegZ

Post by ThegZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Greetings my desktop recently crashed and has a dead Hard drive so I am using my laptop for EQ atm and am having this issue with GINA on it . I have turned down the user access control to minimum ... turned off firewall and anti virus and still consistantly get the unable to connect to the sharing service when I attempt to open trigger packs folks send to me or whe I attempt to access the sharing Library . My Laptop is a windows 7 home edition premium 64 bit for the OS . My desktop was a Vista based machine and I had no problems at all using GINA on it . I would appreciate any Ideas or insight you may have in this matter . Both Comps connect thru the same network same router etc same location .

Maddmaxx

Post by Maddmaxx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32 am

I'll be the first to admit that I am not the greatest with computers.... so with that in mind. I only use Gina during raids and as part of my routine i log into EQ,turn on logs,then pop out to desktop and fire up Gina. Gina loads, checks for updates, about mid december it showed that there indeed was an update available so I click yes ...since that time I have been unable to connect to sharing device , wether it is to library or to gain a package sent by the Raid leader. I am running Windows XP professional SP3 Net 4.. I have tried uninstalling/ reloading.... I have done a repair on NeT 4 and have even downloaded fiddler to look at that... Not that it helps me a bit since I have no clue what I'm looking at.... I do get a certificate error window from fiddler when trying to connect to gina sharing device.I have tried everything I can think of..with security full on/ off.. firewalls on/off.. would appreciate any input to help this big dumb barbarian warrior out....thx

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:37 pm

For both posters -- see if you can browse to this URL https://eq.gimasoft.com/GINAServices/Package.svc in a regular browser (you should see a blue header bar that says "Service" and and some bold text that says "Metadata publishing for this service is currently disabled."

One of the changes in the December patch was to change the connection to the web service to be a secure connection (via SSL), so I am wondering if you are having some issues with the certificate authentication.

ThegZ

Post by ThegZ » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 pm

The First time I tried to open the link it popped up the security certificate warning screen to which i clicked go to this site anyway ... then it took me to the screen you described each time afterwards it opened up no problem . I was told by a co workerer that I may need to add an exception for GINA in my windows firewall settings , even though I have had it and my norton turned off for diagnostic purposes . I attempted to add a new rule for GINA however I can not seem to find GINA on my PC other then the desktop link . I did try using that as the program name when I added the exception but I am still unable to update or recieve trigger packs and am getting the same message about being unable to connect to the sharing service . I appreciate your help in this matter . Hopefully this info helps some since I can not seem to figure this out . Thanks again

Update when I open the link you provided it says certificate error in the address bar next to the link .. not sure if this helps im hoping it does it almost sounds like this might be the issue but im not sure how to resolve it .. Thanks again for responding

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Can you give me more info on the certificate error you are receiving? I believe my cert provider is a default trusted provider as of XP SP3. In particular, in Internet Explorer, can you go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Contents tab -> Publishers button (in certification section), and see if you have "StartCom Certificate Authority" listed under Trusted Root Certificate Authorities (you should also see VeriSign in this list)? I know their certificate is installed by default in more recent technology, but not sure in older OS/browsers.

ThegZ

Post by ThegZ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:39 am

at work atm so cant give exact specifics on the cert but the name "StartCom Certificate Authority" sounds right and its good thru 2014 yet my os says it could not be verified and shows the error message in the adress bard even after installing the cert and restrting the comp . I will post when I get home with exact name and such not sure on the Veri Sign part but I will confirm later . If this is what is causing the issue is there a way to bypass this aspect so I can access your excellent software?

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 pm

On the Advanced tab of settings, you can change the "https://" in the Share Service URI to just "http://". However, every time you start GINA, it will force the app into secure mode (https), so you will have to change this value every time you start GINA.

I changed to a secure connection to support a future feature to submit packages to be reviewed for Gimagukk's Library directly from the application; I'll add an option to disable secure mode (and eventually this future feature) in an upcoming version.

Maddmaxx

Post by Maddmaxx » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 pm

I did what you suggested...that is what the issue is I believe. Running fiddler and opening the library i get a pop up that gives the reason "remotecertificatechainerrors" with the certificate information and a "do you want to proceeed" ..same with trying the link you provided. Also I checked the publishers and startcom is NOT listed on any of the 3 tabs...
Last edited by Maddmaxx on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.