"A crash log was detected"

oligonucleotide

"A crash log was detected"

Post by oligonucleotide » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:59 pm

I am running Windows XP (32 bit). I downloaded GINA and installed. The installation appeared to run fine, but when it went to automatically start the program, a message: "A crash log was detected" popped up and was immediately covered by the standard "GINA has encountered a problem and needs to close... etc... " and offeres to let me send an error report. That process takes quite a while and I can't really swear that a report was sent... Anyway, once that window clears. the GINA program screen which was visible but dimmed in the background also disappears.

I do have a desktop icon for GINA and can activate it but the same process described here occurs once again.

Help!
Cheers!

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Re: "A crash log was detected"

Post by Gimagukk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:28 am

Sorry, took me a couple days to get an XP VM working again so I could test. First, questions:
  • Do you have XP service pack 3 installed? (Go to Control Panel -> System and you should see "Service Pack 3" listed under or next to Windows XP.)
  • Do you have the latest updates from Windows Update (.Net updates in particular?
  • What anti-virus software are you using? If there is a free/trial version, I can install it on my XP VM to see if that is the culprit.
I would like to determine if the crash is related to trying to load something specific from your config file. GINA should fall back to creating a default (pretty much blank) config file if it fails to load your config file instead of crashing, but let's check it just in case. Create a new folder somewhere, then find the folder your GINAConfig.xml file is in and move all of the files from this folder to the new folder you created. (By default, the GINAConfig.xml file will be in C:\Documents and Settings\<YourWindowsName>\Local Settings\Application Data\GimaSoft\GINA -- Microsoft hides some of those folders, so you will need to show hidden folders or manually enter the path in the explorer address bar.)

oligonucleotide

Re: "A crash log was detected"

Post by oligonucleotide » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:56 pm

OK... Thanks for the help!

-I do have Service Pack 3 installed.
-I suspect the .NET updates may relate to the problem... I do have an automatic update notice popping up, but when I go to install it, I get an "Error Box" (for lack of a better word) which reads "Some updates could not be installed. The following updates were not installed: Security update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416447)." I have tried to download and install the .NET Framework 4.0 as suggested, which downloads "dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe"... when I run that file I am given the option of "Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to its original state" or "Remove .NET Framework 4 Client Profile from this computer." I have tried both a couple of times and I always get am message box telling me "Repair did not succeed ... Fatal error during installation." It does include a log file which I can attach or cut and paste if that would be useful.
-I have been using the paid version of StopZilla. I believe that there is a trial version available.

I did the manipulations with the "C:\Documents and Settings\<YourWindowsName>\Local Settings\Application Data\GimaSoft\GINA" as you suggested. GINA recreated a new GINAConfig.xml as you said but the crash problem still persisted when I tried to run GINA.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a relative novice!