Cannot Download

a_macaque

Cannot Download

Post by a_macaque » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Using windows 8.1 Pro, it gives me this error when I download it -"Cannot download application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance."
Any suggestions? I tried turning off firewall and autoprotect, it did nothing. I have no idea what files I am missing, this is a new computer as well. Thanks.

capfive

Re: Cannot Download

Post by capfive » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 am

received this error also, going to look for a manual link or something

silicon_ghost

Post by silicon_ghost » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:08 pm

I too am having a problem installing this on my new Win 8.1 laptop. I've tried the usual disable firewall, make sure all updates were applied, etc. I had no luck finding a manual link. The error message is somewhat useless. The detailed error gives no indication of WHAT file it is trying to get from gimasoft.com. In short, I have no way to debug this myself.

To be fair to the author of GINA, I think he is using some stock Microsoft "grab latest version on the fly" framework. If that is the case, then we are being hamstrung by typical half-baked Microsoft inventions. I have over thirty years of dev time on MS operating systems so I think I've earned the right to complain about this; Gawd that makes me feel old.

I've cludged a copy from another computer.
Look in the C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Apps folder. Find a folder named "2.0". The only things I found under here are folders related to one or more copies of GINA.
Copy the whole 2.0 mess to your other computer.
Figure out which version your old computer is using by checking the properties of the GINA shortcut.

The above works, sorta. Because this copy wasn't properly registered in that mysterious auto-install framework, you get a popup every time you start the app.

I've attached the detailed log for the GINA author. As can been seen, it rambles a LOT about GINA.application not downloading and not finding a file GINA.application but never actually gives the URL where it tried to download the file. The formatting of this file was my clue that GINA is using a pre-baked app deployment system based on .NET, probably the System.Deployment.Application namespace. I'm hoping this is a case of the author mistyping something in the deployment meta-data and can easily be found and fixed. It seems clear to me that the error log proves it is not missing .NET components on my side.

Doing a quick browse of the setup.exe, I could not find the deployment URL but I did see indications that the author/installer is using SSL certificates (woot).

I've available if the author wants to do a WebEx (I have an account with them) to deep-dive, perhaps with more debugging messages turned on.

Code: Select all

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.34209
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR
	clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
	dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR
	dfshim.dll 			: 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: file:///C:/Users/mzaleski/Downloads/GINA.application

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of C:\Users\mzaleski\Downloads\GINA.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Downloading file:///C:/Users/mzaleski/Downloads/GINA.application did not succeed.
		+ Could not find file 'C:\Users\mzaleski\Downloads\GINA.application'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [7/13/2015 5:41:12 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\mzaleski\Downloads\GINA.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [7/13/2015 5:41:12 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
		- Downloading file:///C:/Users/mzaleski/Downloads/GINA.application did not succeed.
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.Net.WebException
		- Could not find file 'C:\Users\mzaleski\Downloads\GINA.application'.
		- Source: System
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
			at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.Net.WebException
		- Source: System
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
			at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.IO.FileNotFoundException
		- Source: mscorlib
		- Stack trace:
			at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
			at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
			at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
			at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)
			at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
			at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks for the log -- it does indeed look like something is wrong with the setup.exe install wrapper that was created in the last couple builds. I was able to recreate this when trying to install from Firefox, but the install works for me with Internet Explorer (because the download link sends you directly to the application manifest instead of the setup.exe wrapper if it detects that you are using IE).

silicon_ghost

Post by silicon_ghost » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 am

Interesting. I was using Chrome browser, not Firefox. I will try IE when I get home.

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:38 pm

I found the issue right before I left this morning -- I inadvertently checked in a change I made while I was locally verifying the upgrade and install functionality still worked on Windows XP after I upgraded my development tools that an update to my development tools made behind the scenes on my unwitting behalf. That change disabled the web bootstrapper. It will be an easy fix and build when I get back tonight.

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:21 pm

This has been corrected with 1.0.21.3.

silicon_ghost

Post by silicon_ghost » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:45 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Woot! It works!

TYVM

oligonucleotide

Post by oligonucleotide » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:14 am

Well, with the fix, I am able to install GINA, but then it posts an error message, has to shut down... but then freezes. Any suggestions?

Asedai

Post by Asedai » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I too can't download Gina running windows 8.1. I get the following error...anyone able to advise please?

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://eq.gimasoft.com/GINA/GINA.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Access to the path 'C:\Users\luanne\AppData\Local\Temp\Deployment\NNEWBJ1H.QWY' is denied.
Asedai Posts: 1Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 am