Can't Install GINA

Tyke666

Can't Install GINA

Post by Tyke666 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:35 am

GINA has been running fine for a few weeks. Then a couple of days ago I came to run it and it would not start. After several attempts I uninstalled the program (I always keep backups of the config files when I make changes).
Yesterday I re-installed the program, replaced the default config files with the backups, and hey presto everything was fine again.

However, this morning I have tried to start GINA and again it refuses to start. So I took the same route as yesterday and uninstalled it. This time when I tried to re-install it, the installer failed.
I have tried repairing .Net 4 but that has made no difference.

So now I have no GINA at all and can't seem to get it onto the PC. Please help. The log of the installer failure is below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.18444
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : http://eq.gimasoft.com/GINA/GINA.application
Server : Microsoft-IIS/8.0
X-Powered-By : ASP.NET

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : GINA.application, Version=1.0.19.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b6380780390d0f3, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://eq.gimasoft.com/GINA/GINA.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Exception occurred during store operation.
+ Value does not fall within the expected range.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [17/11/2014 11:14:38] : Activation of http://eq.gimasoft.com/GINA/GINA.application has started.
* [17/11/2014 11:14:39] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [17/11/2014 11:14:39] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (ComponentStore)
- Exception occurred during store operation.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SubmitStoreTransaction(StoreTransactionContext storeTxn, SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SetPendingDeployment(SubscriptionState subState, DefinitionIdentity deployId, DateTime checkTime)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.SetLastCheckTimeToNow(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.ArgumentException
- Value does not fall within the expected range.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.Transact(IntPtr cOperation, StoreTransactionOperation[] rgOperations, UInt32[] rgDispositions, Int32[] rgResults)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SubmitStoreTransaction(StoreTransactionContext storeTxn, SubscriptionState subState)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
* Transaction at [17/11/2014 11:14:39]
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
- HRESULT: 0x0
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
- HRESULT: 0x80070057

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Re: Can't Install GINA

Post by Gimagukk » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:27 am

1 - Are you using Avast anti-virus software? (Your symptoms sound different, but just want to verify due to timing.) If so, see this thread.

2 - If the answer to #1 is No, can you uninstall GINA, and try running the download with a different browser (if you were using Internet Explorer, try Chrome; if you weren't using Internet Explorer, try using it). The non-IE browsers have a thicker bootstrap, so just want to rule out issues there.

3 - If #1 is No and #2 doesn't work, can you send me your ginaconfig.xml to validate?

Tyke666

Post by Tyke666 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks for the prompt reply.

You are correct on point 1. I am using Avast, and I suspect therein lies the issue. I'll read through the thread you linked. As I disabled both Avast and Comodo firewall I didn't think it was Avast causing the issue.

Looks like I need a failsafe exclusion in Avast to stop it bombing out GINA. Very annoying when they have worked fine together for many months. I will keep my findings posted.

Tyke666

Post by Tyke666 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Still no luck.

I have now uninstalled Avast altogether - and used the avast cleanup utility to hopefully make sure.

If I use Firefox on the download link, I get a file downloaded called setup.exe. When I run this I still get "Cannot Start Application" message box, with a log.
When I have ran this previously, it downloaded something and then failed. It does not get as far as downloading anything now. It is as though there is something left behind that needs tidying up, stopping it from progressing.

If I click the download link with IE, a file downloads and executes. It then gives exactly the same as above.

As GINA is not installed, there is no config file I can supply. Is there something the installer may be finding on the PC that is stopping the installer from progressing to the download phase.

I also tried the beta download with exactly the same results as above.

Tyke666

Post by Tyke666 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Fixed it!

It was indeed things left around.
Some folders in a C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0 ... some random folder name. (Not sure why GINA has to work this way. Not easy to find even the exe file for a novice, but I assume its something to do with the way .net apps work).

Once I cleared this folder it installed fine.