Text to speech issue (& request)

Have a question about how to use GINA? Ask away.
Keille

Text to speech issue (& request)

Post by Keille » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 am

So for different reasons that I cannot always control I am ending up playing EQ on a Windows 8 system.
Gina works all fine and after a lot of testing and research I have spotted the origin of my issue.

Windows 8 has TTS (text to speech), but the library would be gone. This means TTS works in microsoft programs but gina or anything else (even metro apps) do not work.
Everything in gina works, sound with sound files works, only thing that is missing is TTS.

Help please! :p

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Re: Text to speech issue (& request)

Post by Gimagukk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I have some time off next week, so I'll get a Windows 8 box set up and see what I can do.

Keille

Post by Keille » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:36 am

Thank you :)

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm using 64-bit Windows 8 (retail version, not pro or enterprise), and the default installed 3 voices which are working automatically in GINA (Microsoft David Desktop, Microsfot Hazel Desktop, and Microsoft Zira Desktop). So, a couple questions:
  • Which version of Windows 8 are you using?
  • Can you go to Control Panel (start typing "control" on the default tile screen, and you should see it), then select Ease of Access (green header link), then select Speech Recognition (green header link), and then click Text to Speech (link of left menu). On the dialog that pops up, do you see any voices listed under the "Voice Selection" dropdown on the Text to Speech tab?

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Also, I should have asked this from the start -- I'm assuming that you're not seeing any voices listed in the Voice drop down on the Character editor in GINA, correct?

If you are seeing the voices listed, but just not hearing anything when you test TTS, make sure that your speaker configuration is set up correctly -- ie, if you just have a subwoofer and two satellite speakers, make sure you have Stereo selected for your speaker configuration, and not something like 5.1. If you have a configuration that expects to have a Center channel (ie, 5.1, 7.1, etc), TTS is directed to that Center channel; if you don't actually have a speaker for that Center channel, you will hear nothing from TTS.

Keille

Post by Keille » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Sorry for the late answer.

I am using Windows 8 Professional with Focal speakers that plug in via usb.
In ease of access I hear the TTS from windows.
On character edit I do have the drop down with 2 voices I can choose from.

I still do not get a sound, and I just cannot understand why since yours is working fine :)

Gimagukk
Site Admin

Post by Gimagukk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Can you check your speaker configuration? My suspicion is that your speakers are configured as 5.1 or 7.1, but you don't actually have a dedicated Center speaker. To check, go to Control Panel -> Sound, right click on your speakers under the Playback tab and select Configure Speakers.

Keille

Post by Keille » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:38 am

Speakers are fine, all audio works.
TTS in windows setup is working I can test the sounds, somehow it just not working with Gina. No clue what else to try... have to make in game audios in meantime